Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Why I love revision...

You know what is really weird? Sitting alone at your friend's house, while she is out working. Whatever! I am just gonna chill with her dog!

NaNoWriMo day #24 - wordgoal 40000 - 

The big 40k! You are almost there! Only 10k more to go. That isn't so bad now is it? I mean, you have come all this way... why stop now? Because you can't. You just can't! I will not allow it. Write that novel. Finish it. And then throw it in the trash on December 1st! I won't judge you! But I will be disappointed if you stop now that we are so close to the finish line... hey! Even if you haven't started yet, you can still win. All you need to do is write 8333 words a day! It can be done!
I managed to read through... five...or six chapters of my first draft! It actually is not as bad as I thought. I mean, there is still a lot to edit, but it is readable.

NaNoWriMo day #25 - wordgoal: 41667 - 

VALIDATION DAY! Yes! the 25th is the day when you can officially validate your wordcount! But that is not the most exciting part! It is the awesome PURPLE bar and all the winner's badges! Let me share some of them with you! 


Just look at how pretty that is! I am a winner! I also got my winner's certificate, but I won't show that. Yeah I am annoying. I know.
On the progress of my novel... I decided that is was not necessary to read through all the chapters. All I needed to do was look them over and write a short synopsis for each. So I did. I wrote the final synopisis, and decided that on Tuesday I would print out my first chapter and work on that!

NaNoWriMo day #26 - wordgoal: 43333 -

I printed out the first chapter of my novel! Wauw... it really is different to hold it in a printed format... but it is even crazier how much I was able to edit! Every page is covered by yellow markings where stuff needs to be changed. I know Stephen King said in "On writing" that you need to cut 10% away, but I never imagined it would be so easy! I am deleting way more than I thought, and that is just by changing sentences. On top of that I went to my writing class and we had a substitute teacher (also an author) and she read through my 1st chapter... she could not put it down! She did give me some really good advice, but I could really feel how she believed in my writing. Aslo; she is really good friends with the man I look up to the most, Kenneth Bøgh Andersen (a danish author) and she said, that she would tell him, how much of an inspiration he has been to me... that is just awesome!

NaNoWriMo day #27 - wordgoal: 45000 - 

Less than 5k! Just a little more!
So I printed out chapter 2 today. I managed to finish my notes for chapter 1 yesterday... I ended up with 62 footnotes...and that is not even everything. I also deleted a lot of stuff. But while editing the first chapter I found out, that my favorite part of writing a book is the editing process. I love to outline, I love to write...but I am IN LOVE with polishing. What NaNoWriMo is about is quantity. Revision is about taking that 'quantity' and turn it into 'quality'. That is why I love revising. I actually sat for an hour with chapter 2 today, and I only managed to take notes to two pages! I sat for so long just wondering how to phrase certain sentences! It was awesome! And I can't wait to edit more after writing this!

Just for fun I am going to show you a random yellow marked page of chapter 1... just so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.


All the yellow is stuff that needs to be changed... yeah... pretty much all my pages look like that, but it is okay. My story is moving forward, and so should yours be!

Keep Calm and Write On.

- Nanna.

No comments:

Post a Comment